On-the-job perks can be very powerful when it comes to recruiting and even retaining employees. Let us count the ways:
1) When employees feel they are being “taken care of by their employers” (more on this in a moment) the more likely they are to recommend your company to their friends, neighbors and former colleagues. Word-of-mouth recruiting can be a great way to get the best candidates (terrific employees tend to refer/recommend terrific candidates).
2) Perks often can cost you relatively little in cash. Flexible work arrangements, mentoring programs, free or company-subsidized snacks and beverages in break rooms, etc. can go a long way to helping your employees feel “cared for.”
3) Feeling that their employer cares for them also can be extended to opportunities for career and professional growth. Subsidized training shows you care about an employee’s future.
4) Perks can go quite a long way in improving morale. Many workers — survivors of cutbacks, doing the job of one, two, or more people — are reaching capacity regarding how much more they can give. It’s time for a little appreciation! Offering a bit more flexibility in scheduling or Free-Muffin-Fridays can make a big difference in how an employer is perceived. Such small, but effective, tokens of appreciation, if done regularly, can help keep employees motivated to continue giving you their best.
5) Finally, perks can increase innovation. Offer your employees the chance to learn new skills or fine tune existing ones via mentoring or employer-paid training programs and you’ll be pleasantly surprised by how quickly they’ll be implementing new ideas or increasing their productivity.
Speaking of increasing productivity, contact RealStreet Staffing today to learn more about how our flexible staffing options can help your Washington Metro construction, engineering or architecture firm become as efficient and profitable as possible.